Andrew Murdoch is the Laser class representative for New Zealand at the 2008 Olympic Games to be held in Beijing.
After a very successful youth career, Andrew Murdoch (26 years of age) is one of New Zealands top yachting prospects for the future. His next goal is to win Gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Andrew has a proven record of achievement he has twice been World Champion in team racing and has also captained those World Championship-winning teams. At youth level in the Laser class he achieved bronze (1999) and silver (2000).
His most recent successes, after many years of achievements, have been 2nd in 2007, 3rd in 2005 and 6th in 2006 and the Laser World Championships; 2nd in the HRH Princess Sofia Regatta; 2nd Sail Melbourne, 2nd in the Semaine Olympique Francaise; 3rd Pre-pre Olympic Test Event in
Until recently, Andrew was competing internationally and studying engineering at Auckland University of Technology. He is now training and competing fulltime towards gold at Beijing. He receives coaching assistance from Yachting New Zealand.
Andrew is a top New Zealand Athlete, with sound values and the determination to win. He has constantly achieved recognition and been awarded various honours over the past 18 years.
- 2nd Sail Melbourne Asia Pacific Championships, Australia
- 12th ISAF Laser World Championships, Terrigal, Australia
- 2nd Semaine Olympique Francaise, Hyeres, France
- 7th Kieler Woche, Keil, Germany
- 2nd ISAF Laser World Championships, Cascais, Portugal
- 3rd Semaine Olympique Francaise, Hyeres, France
- 2nd HRH Princess Sofia Trophy, Palma, Spain
- 1st Sail Auckland International Regatta, Auckland, New Zealand
- 4th Sail Sydney International Regatta, Sydney Australia
- 6th Laser World Championships, Jeju, Korea
- 3rd Pre-pre Olympic Test Event, Qingdao, China
- 5th Holland Regatta, Medemblik, Holland
- 4th Semaine Olympique Francaise, Hyeres, France
- 1st New Zealand Nationals Championships
- 1st Sail Auckland International Regatta
- 3rd Australian National Championships
- 3rd World Championships, Fortaleza, Brazil
- 8th European Championships, Cartagena, Spain
- 1st Sydney International Regatta
- 1st Oki 24 Hour Race Auckland
- 2nd Asia Pacific Laser Championships
- 2nd Sail Auckland
- Halberg Award Nominee
- Yachting New Zealand Merit Award
- Sport Northland Code Award
Andrew's Secret Weapon for the light winds at the Olympics!
Special Thanks to Hyundai for their great Support