Point-7 has selected Ricardo Campello for joining the Point-7 Black Team. If you are interest in exclusive interviews, do not hesitate to contact us.
'Ricardo Campello rapresents the top expression as an athlete in the sport of windsurfing.
3 times world champion in Freestyling, and 2 times vice world champion in waves.
Ricardo is one of the main inventor of the new school wavesailing, which was the matter to insert freestyle moves into the wave discipline.
The first rider to try the triple forward loop risking his own life. One of the riders which needs to be followed when he gets on the water, as you never know which limit he is going to break.
Does not matter if it is a down the line in Maui or a onshore competition in Pozo, Ricardo is often the man to beat.
Ricardo has now choosen Point-7 to achieve his goals: going the wave world title and landing the tripple forward loop. Ricardo will also join the development team of point-7 and many other projects that you can soon follow on the Point-7 official site!'
Point 7 Interviews Ricardo Campello:
Hi Ricardo, welcome to the Point--7 Black Team
· You spent 14 years with the same brand and now onto new pastures. How does it motivate you to start a completely new chapter or project?
· For me it is something totally new , i had never imagined myself sailing with
another sail brand and here I am , I think a change is always good it will be a whole new challenge for me
· Andrea and you have met many times around the world. You even lived together in Maui when the both of you were working for the same brand. Andrea thought you would have never talked to him again, after waking you up one morning in the house by throwing a full pot of used pasta water over you. Do you think he is now sponsoring you to say sorry?
· Jajajaja I guess, joking , Andrea and I always had a good relationship. On this trip to Maui I was had just
met him for the first time and as said we were staying in the same house. I didnt have my drivers licence at the time so he had to drive me all around the island and babysit me. I guess he couldnt handle being a caddy. jja we had fun! jaja but every time I saw him after at the events we always
talked a bit and here we are, finally working together
· There is always a lot of attention on riders who chance their sponsors to see how it will effect their performance. You've now been at the very top of the PWA for years and often very close to the wave world title. What do you think it will take for you to win it this year?
· Well, first I need to get used to my equipment and work with the P7 team to
test the equipment and see if we need to make some small changes so the gear will fit to my needs! Wave competitions also has a lot to do with whether you are lucky or not. In the past Ive had a lot of pressure from my sponsors and now it is very different and I feel I can relaxed more
which is definitely something that will give me the edge to do even better!
· You are multiple Freestyle World Champion, what was the difference in the challenge to wave?
· In freestyle you are not dependent on the waves. In wave sailing if you mess up
your timing when looking for jumps during your heat you are screwed, or if you select a closeout wave! so everything can happen. In freestyle it is different.
· The Black Team had you on their priority list as they felt you matched the Point-7 brand qualities.
· Thanks, you were also on my priority list!
· Your home town is Isla Margarita and we understand that it's flat water. You are aiming as first priority to win the PWA wave title and you have been very close but where are you training?
· I spend a lot of time on Maui and there you can pretty much train everything
and I normally always go a month before to the Canaries to train before the events to get used again to the jumping!
· On the Canaries all the competitions are on port tack. Maui is not helping for these events. How do you
train triple looping, double looping and all the other air moves to be so perfect?
Actually Im much more comfortable jumping on Port tack. On starboard tack my doubles are not as controlled. I dont think I would try any triple loops in Maui! jejeje maybe one day ;)
· On the PWA Wave tour, many PWA riders decided for the 2013 Maui event not to compete but we saw a lot of great local Maui compete who then doesnt on the rest of the PWA world tour. Only a few riders actually did the full tour. What is your opinion on this?
· The Maui guys rip, but they are just over competing on onshore conditions and
they had just competed in Hawaii and did great, many PWA guys didnt go because they expected to have Chile so they would have had a discard but in the event that event was cancelled. Thats just the way it goes!!
· We noticed you have over 10K followers on facebook. Not many riders have that. You are not only a true windsurfing world champion, but also an Icon and ambassador for the sport.
· I have been working a lot on my social media lately and by work meaning just
posting amazing pictures from photo shoots, my family trips and things I see on my trips!! for me it is an honour to have all these followers and I know a lot of people respect me and it is great!
· What's the secret to become one?
· Not sure , just be who you are and try to be cool with everyone! Jeje
· In the PWA tour you are also known as the monkey. Where is this coming from?
· Robby Swift started calling me a monkey because of how I jump when windsurfing
and from there on everyone started calling me a monkey! Eje
· Is talent a big part of success in our sport or is it just hard training?
· I would prefer if someone answer that question for me! jajaja Im not sure , but
you have to train a lot to do well no matter what!
· You have received your sails from Point-7 and had a chance to test them a bit. The Swag 3 Batten, the Salt 4 Batten and the Sado 5 Batten. It's a wide choice. Do you already know which you will be using?
· I tested the Salt and the Slash freestyle just for fun and they feel great! I
honestly thought I would like them that quick but they are amazing , the Salt is really similar to the sails Im used to but I will help make it even better, we will try to make some changes and Im sure we can make it even better!
· Lots of brands are now coming out with their own 3 batten wave sails or are busy still testing. You have it already in the Point-7 range. What do you think about this concept?
· I didnt try it yet as I just received it and here we only have flat water, but
I heard they are amazing and I just saw some pics of Jason Polakow trying his in Maui. Im super excited to have a go as it should be super light and smooth.
· Is it true that Point-7 has given you white paper on the development of new wave gear?
· Yes, that is the part that I love , Andrea gave me the go to do whatever I want
and Ive always wanted that and now I can finally do it
· What are the first steps?
· Test everything and see what is best and go from there! it should be a whole
· Point-7 have organized an event for their clients, friends, windsurfers to come and join the Black Team on Tenerife so they can improve their skills with help from the team riders. Nicolas Akgazciyan, Martin Ten Hoeve and all the slalom sailors will also be there. Do you think you can make it in time, or do you have already a schedule for next months?
· Im not sure, my main priority is to test all the sails and make sure I have
everything I like for the PWA season and this takes time! I will try to my best to be there but I see it hard as I also want to have some time home with my family and friends!
· The first PWA event is in Venezuela, your home spot. How is that going? Are you involved in the organization? Slalom and Freestyle. Will you take part? You have also received the Slash Freestyle sail. Will you do any freestyle competitions?
· Yep , Im helping a bit and it should be amazing , I will do slalom and
Freestyle so Im super excited , like I said before I love the slash and compared to my old freestyle Sail it is much better.
· Triple forward? Who will make it happen first?
· Dont know, I will give it a go when Im comfortable!! Lets see
· Back loop into forward. Has it been used in competition?
· Not what I know of but I dont want to hurt myself on that! Hahahah
· Any new air moves for you in the drawer?
· not yet , maybe soon
· Next trip?
· Maui and hopefully Capo Verde
Many thanks for your time Ricardo and Welcome to the team!!